With Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny now playing, it's the perfect time to revisit that most sanctified of film genres: the stoner buddy comedy.
• Dude, Where's My Car? (2000)—This movie is so close to my heart it's tattooed on my left ventricle. Ashton Kutcher and Seann William Scott tangle with aliens, catch PG-13 T&A, shout in Japanese, and have various other adventures. I'd tell you about them, but there's no way I could do them justice.
• Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004)—From the venerated director of Dude, Where's My Car? comes Harold & Kumar, in which two dudes get stoned, hang out with a coked-up Doogie Howser, ride a cheetah, and... well, pretty much have the craziest time two guys have had since Dude, Where's My Car? This movie should have won 20 Oscars.
• Dirty Work (1998)—Directed by Bob Saget(!), Dirty Work has the hilarious Norm MacDonald teaming up with Artie Lange to start a revenge-for-hire business. I don't think anyone actually gets stoned in this movie, but still. Featuring: Don Rickles! Chevy Chase! A terrifying Gary Coleman! And Chris Farley! Without a nose!
• Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)—Not only does Keanu seem like a brilliant actor when you're stoned and/or drunk, but the Wyld Stallyns also seem like the greatest band of all time. Actually, right now they seem like the greatest band of all time. And I'm sober! Mostly! WYLD STALLYNS!
• Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke (1978)—Before Cheech became Don Johnson's sidekick and Chong burned out, Cheech and Chong used to be funny. Their first movie's their best: there's a van made out of weed, a heartwarming "stick it to The Man" vibe, and a sweet rock 'n' roll performance. Also, my mom loves this movie. I'm bewildered as to why, but I'm really glad she does.
• Milo & Otis (1986)—Talking animals are funnier when you're stoned. But whatever you do, don't watch Babe: Pig in the City. That shit will fuck you up. ERIK HENRIKSEN